Sunday, May 29, 2011

rock die.

Here it is.


Three little hens here courtesy of Ikat bag patterns.

The instructions were very good and the pieces fit together just right. I had my chickens lined up in an assembly line and they only took about 2 or 3 evenings of sewing. I used all felt instead of fleece.

Monday, May 23, 2011

experiments with dye: shibori inspired

In preparation for a larger project that I have in mind, I decided to test out some dying with a tutorial I found here.

I tried the "kumo" style within some glass marbles used for vases and rubber bands.

While researching different style of shibori, I cam across some videos on youtube that are really fascinating. They show people from the town of Arashi, Japan tying intricate patterns for fabric that will then be used for yukata and kimono. Really impressive. Be sure to look it up.

Sunday, April 3, 2011

Wiksten tank, take 3

I was a busy bee this weekend. Here is my latest wiksten garment, the tank in Joel Dewberry modern meadow, lake herringbone.

Making this tank again reminded me of how thoughtful the finishes are on the wiksten patterns. I'm really hoping she'll come out with others.

Saturday, April 2, 2011

Lisette Portfolio Tunic

This top is from the new "Lisette" line from Simplicity patterns (2245). I made this in a cotton shirting that I treated myself too. It's really light and has a nice drape. It'll be great for the summer.

Next time I think I will try the no pocket view. The pockets are cute, but not that usable unless you use a heavier fabric. Also, I don't want to use the pockets and add bulk.

Normally I'm not a fan of raglan sleeves. I like things a bit structured. However, they work on this top. Maybe its the neckline detail that adds that je ne sais quoi? maybe its the cuff. I'm just saying, give 'em a chance.

A nitpick: I had to seam rip the neckline where the two button loops are due to there barely being room for the loops. Be careful if you make this top to make sure your loop isn't caught in your neck stitching.

Magic Pattern Slip-Over Apron

I have a fabric stash. I don't always have a lot of time. I always have a need to make things and keep busy.

When I saw this pattern while leafing through the spring 2010 issue of Stitch magazine, I knew it was something I could whip-up and use. I actually made two! The pattern is originally from a 1929 magazine and is made from a square piece of fabric. It's a good project for that fabric you *like* but don't *love* because that means you'll actually use it and not preserve it.

If you really felt motivated you would make your own bias tape - but like I said, I wanted something now and luckily found 5 yards for each apron of pink bias amongst my scraps.

Sunday, January 16, 2011

Mortadella Paints

Not too long ago a dear friend of mine asked if I would paint murals for her two sons on their bedroom walls. I came up with the idea of painting canvases in case their tastes change in the not too distant future.

First up, for the younger son, an assortment of Thomas the train and a couple of his friends. I had a harder time with this painting since before this I wasn't very familiar with Thomas, and his image couldn't just come from my head. He's already an established and the recipient of this painting is going to expect something that looks like Thomas.
I was able to take more artistic license with the painting for the older son as he asked for a sunflower with a kitten. And here it is...

I hadn't painted in years, and I need to brush up on a lot in order to improve my work. I'm glad someone gave me an excuse to start though.